Friday, April 8, 2016

Yes, Please by Amy Poehler



Author:  Amy Poehler
Genre:  Memoir, Comedy, Autobiography, Non-fiction
Reading Experience:  7.5/10
Writing:  7/10
My Verdict:  8/10


I thought I might change the rating system for this particular, to make it more appropriate for a memoir.  There's no actual story to rate; it's their life, the way it happened.  no villain (unless you count Life as a villain), there's no conflict between the hero and th villain (again, Life vs. You is a hell of a fight, don't you think?), there are no characters to "develop and there is no plot.  The book of life is already written, and you have no freaking idea what comes next.  So I'll skip the "Story" part of the rating.

Okay!  Let us begin!

Yes, please, by Amy Poehler.  The first memoir I've ever read, and it was only because my sister and I had this challenge where we had to read a memoir.  I'm not a fan of the idea of memoirs.  I like my fiction, thank you very much.  I find fiction appealing, because it's a world different from this one, and sometimes, you just need an escape from it all.  Why would I voluntarily read of others' struggles?  Why would I read about someone else's life?

So the challenge made me search for a memoir.  I had to look for the funniest one.  By then, I've already read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (reviews coming soon!), so I was trying to avoid "ugly-crying" books.

So by the time I came across this book, I was finishing the hilarious TV show, Parks and Recreation, where Amy Poehler stars as the main character.  I was in love with the show!  So, even with my reluctance on memoirs, imagine my reaction when I came across her book:

Yass!  Amy Poehler's/Leslie Knope's memoir!!

I was thrilled.  I needed more of her comedy, so that's the reason behind my "leap of faith".  Needless to say, I see memoirs in a whole new way.

Reading Experience:  7.5/10

So we have a practically natural-born comedian, who has vast experience in "Improv" and overall comedy, telling you about her life and the ups and downs that come with it.  What more do we need?  I chose the book because I wanted to be entertained, I wanted more of her character Leslie Knope, more of her.  I wanted to laugh and be entertained, and Amy Poehler delivered.

I don't read comedy books, so I can't compare it to others.  I can't say I laughed my ass off here because... I didn't.  I wasn't laughing breathlessly or anything, but I managed to laugh.  Very few books manage to do anything to me beyond a smile or grin, but I actually laughed with this book.

She chooses an array of moments and events that were both meaningful and hilarious.  She then proceeds to describe them and offer her views on them in the most hilarious way possible.  If you are familiar with her voice in SNL and Parks and Recreation, you might expect the same type of voice here.  You won't be disappointed, if you are a fan of Amy Poehler.  I certainly wasn't.  I expected comedy and she delivered.

Writing:  7/10

Her writing style is unique, in my opinion.  She's talking to you, about her life and certain events that shaped it.  She tells you how she felt, and the thoughts she had through her head while does events and moments took place.  From her skits before SNL, her experience as a comedian and even her days as a mother.  Not to mention the hilarious way she portrays nine months of pregnancy.

Her writing is straightforward, and to my surprise, she seamlessly adds life lessons throughout the book, which gives the whole memoir a certain weight to it.  I was not expecting to learn a few things from her, since the memoir is clearly not intended to be "inspirational", but more like entertaining and expository.  That was a pleasant surprise, which made the book much more enjoyable.  Who doesn't like a life lesson every now and then.

My Verdict:  8/10

The book was very fun to read, and, as I said, it was not all laughs and fun; she was also sharing the lessons she had learned in her voyage of life.  I was surprised how easy it was to read this book, since I have a tendency to believe that autobiographies and memoirs have to be boring or, to some extent, self-centered and usually a plot to seek glory and praise.  I take it back.  All of it.  You start this book with a smile, and keep that smile long after you've finished.

Do I recommend it?



Do you like memoirs or autobiographies?  Yes?  Don't know?  Read it!  Remember, if you're used to fiction, plots, action, adventure, villain-hero conflicts and plot twists... there will be none of that here.  It seems obvious, but it has to be said.  Even though it didn't have any flying dragons, ghosts, aliens or evil sorcerers, I did like it.  And even though non-fiction/autobiographical is not going to be a favorite genre for me, I still want to read one every now and then.  

I do recommend to read any memoir or autobiography, if you choose not to read this one.  Why?  Because it can teach you something, something you didn't know.  Something you didn't know you needed.  Believe me, there were lessons there.  And some made me go: "Whoa.  That's deep.  I needed that."  I certainly didn't expect to be taught anything while reading this book, but it did teach me.  A lot.  And I'm grateful for it.  Thank you, Amy! 

Think about it.

Meanwhile, read this book!  Sit back, have a cup of coffee or waffles or breakfast food (Parks and Rec inside joke).  

Breakfast food!

I promise that, even if it doesn't make you laugh out loud, it will at least make you smile.  That, and it will teach you a little bit about the struggles of life.  Not only that, but the meaning behind "Yes, please" is quite interesting and deep.


***

Liked this review?  Do you agree?  Do you disagree?  Don't hesitate on commenting!  Tell me what you think about my reviews and blog!  Happy Reading!

No comments: