Friday, April 8, 2016

A Work in Progress by Connor Franta



Author:  Connor Franta
Genre:  Memoir, Non-Fiction, Autobography
Reading Experience:  8.5/10
Writing: 8/10
My Verdict:  9/10






You probably have heard of him.  Probably haven't.  If you're a fan of YouTube, like myself, you've probably heard of him and his generation of YouTubers.  There are hundreds and hundreds of YouTubers out there, some in the spotlight, some in the dark, some "getting there".  Connor Franta is one of them.  Still don't know him?  This is him:



You may have seen him collaborating with other YouTubers (which, by the way, he is not a fan of that label).  You may have seen him in events with other entertainers or maybe, you've seen the book.

I have to admit, I came across his existence through photography, not actually YouTube.  In fact, I may have seen a video or two of him, but never actually pinned his name.  I use YouTube mostly for "Top 5" or "Top 10" lists, ghosts stories and WatchMojo.  I know, I'm weird.  Don't judge me.  I also use it for writing tips and photography composition videos.  Given that I don't tend to be in his category of YouTube videos, I've never actually crossed paths with his channel.

As I said, I came across his name in Instagram.  I am trying to teach myself the art of photography and composition.  When browsing through pictures in Instagram, I came across one of his pictures (I don't recall which one, exactly).  I decided to follow him and found that he had an art for that.

I found out he had a YouTube channel and decided to subscribe also.  I saw a couple of videos of him, maybe two or three.  Seemed like a nice guy.

How did I come across the book?  Well, I read that he was considered an entrepreneur, and a very famous YouTuber and blogger.  He was quite successful in those areas, having thousands of subscribers and daily views.  He was on top of today's media.  And, by the looks of his video, remained humble, friendly and down-to-Earth, even in fame.

Curious about how he did it, I came across his memoir/autobiography and decided to give it a go.  As I stated before, I'm not too fond of memoirs.  The idea of reading the book made by someone that was already successful didn't appeal to me.  Plus, nothing beats a good ol' fashioned fiction novel, right?  But, as I was taught as a child, "learn from the experienced".  As an aspiring writer, I was curious to know how he thrived in life, and what he went through before his fame.  it's always good to learn from people who have thrived in similar areas.  It can give you both motivation and guidance.

To be completely candid, I went to the book expecting step-by-step instructions and do's and don'ts when walking down the path of success.  I admit that I was disappointed for like two seconds when reading the first chapter.  But the lessons I take with me are priceless.  Once again, a memoir surprised me, and went beyond my expectations.   

Reading Experience:  8.5/10

As I said, I wanted to read the book with the intention of having some sort of guidance for the path I wanted to make for myself.  I don't know any famous people personally, much less any writers or photographers.  I would often go to online courses and "tips", but they contradict each other.  In the end, there is no "right" information.  And for someone that wants to learn correctly, like myself it's... frustrating.

So I thought, why not read his book?  He is around my age, he is a photographer, an entrepeneur and had created an empire in social media.  Plus, he seems friendly and funny.  The book might be entertaining.  Why not see what he did and how he did it?

What made it more memorable was that the book turned out completely different than what I expected, in a good way.  It was not a "guide", it was a retelling of his obstacles, of his life, of his childhood, and the moments that shaped him.  He talks about everything memorable in his life, from his family to his school experiences, to his coffee... he has a whole page on coffee...

"Coffee made me do it"

Writing:  8/10

His personality is obvious when you read the book.  Friendly, humorous every now and then, wise here and there, sort of awkward for the most part.  I think that it's the awkwardness, the humor, and the down-to-Earth way he writes that makes the book more like a conversation.  To me, the most "relatable" parts of those filled with awkwardness and humor.

*Sees plastic crown in the box*  Oh... no...

The book is entertaining in parts, and every chapter has its own little pearl of wisdom, whether it comes from him or was given to him by people he considers wise and experienced.

The writing is easy and simple.  It's straightforward.  He takes you through some of his most memorable moments and events, those that shaped his life and made the person that he is today.  He also adds a few things about himself, showing personality and, to some extent, connecting with you, the reader.  He discusses many of the lessons he'd learn while walking the path he is now.  He discusses everything from school, to family, to his "leap of faith" by moving with a roommate and living alone, and even his dating life.

My Verdict:  9/10

The book earned its nine points.  It exceeded my expectations.  It just comes to show that life gives you something different you didn't know you needed.  I wanted a manual on how to succeed, a way to walk the path I wanted to walk, and instead, the book gave me a map to all the possible paths I can take, and the potential each one had.  Does that make sense?  I don't know... I hope...

Each experience will be different.  The lesson this book taught me will not be the same one you will learn.  It's a box full of pearls, pearls of wisdom.  I will take one, or two... you can either take from it a similar one, but never the same.

To be honest, my favorite chapter of the book was the "Live Now, Worry Later," chapter.  We take for granted the value of "now", while worrying for the future.  Are eyes are always so far ahead that we forget to look around.  That's the lesson I will take with me.  

Do I recommend it?  Yes!  Hey, it's a short book, easy to read, and gives you a lesson in life... or maybe two.  I don't think there is much convincing needed.  Don't be fooled by the fact that he is in early-twenties; he gives out timeless lessons that will aid you in your voyage of life.  It will impress you, believe me.


***


Hi bookworms!  Did you like my review?  Let me know by commenting!  Or tweet me here!  Happy Reading! 

  

No comments: