Saturday, April 2, 2016

Pet Sematary by Stephen King




Author: Stephen King
Genre: Horror, Thriller, Paranormal
Target Audience: Adults
Reading Experience: 9/10
Story: 8.5/10
Writing: 8/10
My Verdict: 9/10

Okay, I'm going to review my all-time favorite book of Stephen King: Pet Sematary.  Yes, it's spelled like that, and it makes sense when you read the book.  It's actually my highest-rated book so far, and it deserves such a rating.  Anyway, I haven't read many Stephen King books (yet), but to date, it's my favorite.  It was the only book to actually give me chills (that forest scene... man, I still have nightmares with that scene!).



And that cat!  I mean, look at it...

Winston Churchill pops out of nowhere every time!
It's like the problems in life!  They just - poof! - appear!

So, I'll get directly to it.  The book is about the Creed family who move into a house in rural Maine (Stephen King's Maine has serious issues!).  They seem to be living a perfect life with a perfect family and a friendly cat (well, it becomes less friendly soon after.  Look at the GIF above).  They even meet the elderly neighbors, Jud and Norma Crandall, across the street, which befriend Louis Creed almost immediately.  It all seems perfect and nice... although, the fact that trucks drive by at high speed is a little unsettling... BUT, it's still perfect.  It's all good!

Or is it?

Reading Experience: 9/10

9?  Why so high, you ask?  Because the book was brilliant, well-made, engaging and downright scary.  I mean, I know it will not have the same effect as watching a truly scary movie, but it gave me chills!  Especially the parts of the forest, at night... Mr. King really knows how to tap into fear when he needs to.  And he really amped up the fear factor in this book.

I mean, look at this sign!  To me it says "turn around"!

I was engaged since the first chapter, since I like "smalltown" paranormal/mystery stories.  I liked the feel of having a very limited set of characters (the isolation of it all), and a simple story; that way, I was able to enjoy the depth of it, and stay 'till the end.

Story: 8.5/10

The reason I didn't give it a ten is because... well, it would be a little unrealistic, wouldn't it?  No book is perfect.  But to me, this one was damn close.  The story is simple, there is something in the woods behind the Creed house much more powerful than any person can imagine, much more powerful than life and death itself.  A curse.  And it will change the lives of the Creeds and the elderly neighbors forever.

Simple, right?  Well it is!  But it has some sort of action-reaction to it that makes the book both thrilling and engaging.  It's an isolated story, which gives the whole book an ominous feeling as you read.  And, as it gets creepier and creepier, you reach a point when you just... can't... stop...

Next thing you know, you are flying through the pages, and have no time to stop and recollect yourself after continuously being scared and creeped out...

Wait!  Mr. King, STOP!  Let me have second to...
Oh no!  Noooooo!

Did I mention that this is one of the few books that actually scared the master of horror, Stephen King, when he wrote it?  I think that's enough to know how scary it is...

Writing: 8/10

There is no criticizing Mr. King's writing (in my opinion, of course).  He always delivers.  This books was easy to understand since page 1.  It was very well written and it made the pace very smooth and organic.  Almost like driving through newly-paved streets.  Definitely a fan of King's writing, specially this book's writing.

My Verdict: 9/10

Again, not a perfect 10 because it's not perfect.  It's a book that will be loved by some (myself included) and hated or disliked by others.  Some might even be "meh" about it.

Whether you scream, recoil or just look away, this book
will scare or creep the living fudge out of you 

The thing I liked most about this book was the creepiness in its story.  I read the Shining and Misery before this (Cell was still on my to-read list by then), and I still think this book creeped me out a LOT more than the others.  And that's saying something, since the Shining was creepy as hell and Misery was downright horrifying and claustrophobic (loved them both, though!).

It's not a book for everyone, though.  It is very unsettling and creepy, and it has a little bit of gore here and there.  No "mature content" or anything explicit... it's just creepy and scary.  Oh, and Zelda's story is not particularly... pleasant.  And don't get me started on Victor Pascow.

It's ZEEEELDA!
Note: I'm going to skip showing you Victor Pascow in a GIF because it's unsettling... and it will spoil the book for you.

Anyway, I do recommend this book if you're up for it.  It affects people in different ways, I guess.  It might not be scary for you, but it might be nightmarish for others... still, it's worth the read.  Oh!  And I also suggest the 1989 adaptation of this book after you read it.  I'll link the trailer, but be warned, it has some slight spoilers of the story itself, so skip it for now if you want to be completely surprised when you read it.  Maybe you won't notice the spoilers if you don't know the story or the characters, but it still gives away too much, in my opinion.  

Here is the trailer.  Oh!  And Stephen King plays the role of a minister in the movie!  He also appears on the trailer!


***

Thank you for reading my reviews!  Hope you like them!  If you agree or don't with my review, let me know!  Comment below!  Also, share with me your thoughts on the blog and if you have suggestions, don't hesitate on sharing them with me!  Happy Reading!

No comments: