Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick



Author:  Philip K. Dick
Genre:  Science Fiction, Short Story, Mystery, Thriller
Target Audience:  Adults
Reading Experience:  9/10
Story:  8.5/10
Writing:  8/10
My Verdict:  8.5/10


I'll be brief with this review since this book is actually only around 100 pages long and I don't want to spoil it for you.  This book is directed mostly towards Sci-Fi lovers, and mystery/thriller lovers.  And it's actually not complete novel, it's a short story.  This story is written by Philip K. Dick, who is often considered a revolutionary mind of futuristic stories and novels (he wrote the Man in the High Castle... 'nuff said).

Okay, so picture this:  a futuristic world, where crime is almost non-existent.  In this story, Commissioner John Anderton leads the Precrime Program, a system where they use three Precognitives or Precogs - people able to see into the future - for the sole purpose of seeing criminals before they commit the crime.  When apprehended, they throw the soon-to-be criminal into jail, on the charges that he/she was going to commit the crime.  Seems morally unjust?  It might be, but that's the price to pay to eradicate crime once and for all.

Who wouldn't want to work here?!  I mean, look at the gloves

Aha! I have you now, you soon-to-be criminal!

So the Precogs offer the name of the soon-to-be criminal, the nature of the crime, and the time and place where it will happen.  They are connected to a machine that makes their visions either visible or recorded on paper.  Similar to the movie and TV show, but less sophisticated I guess.

Arthur, Agatha and Dash in the "milkbath" (trust me, the Precogs are not
as... appealing in the book)

Now, what happens in the book that makes it a thriller and a mystery?  Why, the main character's fall from grace, of course!

So we have Commissioner John Anderton, a paunchy, balding man on the verge of retiring (Anderton is no Tom Cruise when it comes to appearance).  He has dedicated his life and energy on Precrime, and now he appears as a criminal of a future crime!  The Precogs don't lie!  His name appeared on the Report, as did the crime he will commit and the day he will commit it.  But how?  He wouldn't even hurt a fly!  How can he kill someone?!

Well, that's the fun of it!

Reading Experience:  9/10

I finished it in a day.  The story was short but engaging.  As a Sci-Fi fan, I found the Precrime Program simply fascinating!  And the thrill of following Anderton as he tries to clear is name was riveting.  I could not let go of the book!  It had a nice flow to it too, which made it easy to go from one chapter to another.  The real thrill happens when the book is almost over, and you are still trying to figure out how it will all turn out.

Story:  8.5

I think that what makes this story interesting is the fact that it's a simple plot (Anderton trying to figure out why and how he will commit the crime, to see if he can stop it), in a complex world.  The film/TV adaptations portray a futuristic time and era, with flying cars and holograms and touchscreens... but the book is sort of shy on those details.  Other than maybe a "futuristic" car, there is nothing in the book that suggests that they had the level of technology depicted in the movie/TV show (I could be wrong, though, maybe I missed something...).  The book doesn't actually take the time to build the world; it just throws you into Anderton's situation in the first two or three chapters.

Still, adding those details in the movie sort of compliments the book, and makes it much more interesting.  I saw the movie before I read the book (Yes!  Gasp!  I know!  I am ashamed!  In my defense, I didn't know it was a book!), and still managed to enjoy it very much.

Again, it's really simple, and it only focuses on Anderton's situation.  I would've loved it as a novel, to explore more of the morality behind the Precrime Program and the Precogs... but the movie and TV show pretty much cover it, so I'm satisfied.  

Writing:  8/10

It's a simple, third person narrative focusing on Anderton and every event that surrounds him and his... situation.  I found it surprisingly simple.  The narrative was almost too easy for it being a book oriented for adults.  I don't know, it could be me.  Not that I'm complaining about it.  Honestly, it made me focus more on the plot, instead of trying to keep up with fancy vocabulary or terms that would otherwise slow me down.

My Verdict:  8.5/10

I liked it.  A lot.  The movie actually gave me a foundation for the book, and it helped me enjoy much more.  I'm a fan of Tom Cruise's portrayal of Anderton in the 2002 adaptation.  It's one of my favorite movies, actually!  In the movie, they expand the world more and the way it works while having the Precrime Program.  It's brilliant!  The TV show (taking place several years after the events in the movie and the book) did an excellent job, also.  Sadly, I recently found out it was cancelled *cries with the book*.  

It's a simple story, a very short one too, but it reaches a certain point where we wonder if things are destined to happen or if we can change it.  Read the book, and draw your own conclusion.  Believe me, the book will leave you thinking about it after you finish.  Kudos to the writer.

Do i recommend it?  Actually I do.  To all ages!  I don't know if they have it in school curriculums, but they should!  Since we're on the fast-track towards the future, we might want to take a pause and think about the "advancements" we are getting, the morality and the consequences behind it.  It's a good lesson, even though the book focuses more on Anderton.  I mean, the Precrime Program would stop crime, yes, but incarcerating people that are actually innocent?  Think about it... they were going to commit a crime, but didn't.  So they're innocent, right?  Are we entitled to take them to jail because they were going to?  Should we put them in jail?  And something else to chew on... can we change the future?  If we were destined to commit a crime, are we able to change that?  It's a scary future if we're headed that way, my dear bookworms.  Keep reading, educate yourself.  We might be humanity's only hope :)  

Can I get an Amen?!




***

Hello bookworms!  Hope you liked this one too!  Let me know on the comments or tweet me!  Happy Reading!


No comments: