Wednesday, April 27, 2016

November 9 by Colleen Hoover



Author:  Colleen Hoover
Genre:  Romance, Contemporary
Target Audience:  New Adults, Adults
Reading Experience:  4.5/10
Story:  5.5/10
Writing:  6/10
My Verdict:  6/10





As I stated in past posts, I'm not a fan of romance.  I'm more into action, fantasy, science fiction, mystery, thriller and horror.  If it's sprinkled with romance and comedy, I wouldn't mind - as long as it's done right.  Books that are made entirely of comedy and romance?  No, thank you.  Books with YA or NA in their labels?  I'll pass.

I read this for two reasons: 
  • I was somewhat curious about the story and book, given that it was really popular among Colleen Hoover fans.  So I had a "hunch" that I might actually like this book, even though it was a romance novel.
  • My sister insisted that I read this book.  Like, every single DAY.  I was still reading Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard when she was already pushing the book towards me.  It was only fair, since she read one I recommended her (which she loved it!).


My hunch was wrong, and so was my sister.  Sorry, Sis.  But this was not... enjoyable.  At all.  This is coming from someone that read ALL the Twilight books, most of John Green's (which were actually good) and even Fifty Shades of Grey.  I mean, I've read good romances and really bad ones.  This wasn't horrible, but it was cringe-worthy. 

I know I will be lynched by my sister and all die-hard Colleen Hoover fans, but I have to write about my experience when reading the book, and it was not pleasant.
It's sad, really.  When I read the description, and when my sister told me about the book (trying to convince me to read it), I was genuinely curious.  It had the story to become something memorable, something sweet, thoughtful and emotional... but it fell short.  Like really, really short.  It had neither of those things, and I felt nothing for the characters.

The book is about Fallon and Ben.  Fallon meets Ben "the Writer" a day before she has to move away to follow her dreams.  This meeting results in something memorable for both of them, and they decide to make it "unique" and "special".  They decide to meet every November 9 since then, for 5-6 years.  They do meet once every year since then, and things start to go in a different direction: things start happening, bad things, truths start coming out into the light and their relationship starts to change.

Sounds interesting, right?  It did to me, too.  Then I actually read it.

I feel like author could've done much more with the story she had.  I feel like her characters could've been done better, the story much more complex and the so-called "plot twist" could've been done more unpredictable.  Fallon could've had more growth, we could've explored more of Ben's life and how he really felt.  But, again, she fell short.  And the book didn't meet any of my expectations.

Reading Experience:  4.5/10

It's a romance.  It's far from my "reading comfort zone".  I remember reading the "First November 9th", which is supposed to be the first chapter, and having the following conversation with her through texts:

Me:  I'm going to shelf this.  This lovey-dovey thing is ridiculous.  It's worse than Twilight AND Fifty Shades mixed together!

Sis:  Keep reading.  Trust me.  Don't stop reading.  If you stop, you won't enjoy it!

(minutes later)  Me:  Oh, my God!  Seriosuly?!  Insta-Love?!

Sis:  Stop complaining and keep reading!  If you keep stopping you'll never read the interesting part!

Me: Fine.  I know I won't like it, though.

Sis:  YOU'LL LIKE IT WHEN YOU GET TO THE TWIST!

Suffice to say, I didn't.  I'm not bashing on romance as a genre.  I'm not heartless, you know.  I loved Pride and Prejudice's story, though I wasn't a fan of the writing at times.  John Green's Fault in our Stars was both hilarious and emotional.  Quentin's love for Margo was sweet and thrilling in Paper Towns.  I even made it through Fifty Shades of Grey.  Oh!  And among my favorite movies are The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Finding Neverland, the Breakfast Club (there is some romance there, I guess), Cruel Intentions and Moulin Rouge.

I'm no stranger to romance, or even "teenage" romance, but this was just... ick.  I remember my sister's expression when she mentions this book and all other Colleen Hover books...


Meanwhile, I was like...




I'm not that hard to impress when it comes to romantic/emotional things in books and movies.  The Fault in our Stars ruined me in a good way, and Paper Towns, though anti-climatic at the end, felt like a very sweet romantic story.  But this one just couldn't reach a sympathetic bone in my body.  Even though a LOT of things happen, BAD things,  It just couldn't tap into the right emotions at the right time.  I blame the characters, that sort of clouded the actual story.  I was determined to root for Fallon, but I found her to be the biggest obstacle in the book.  And don't get me started on the lovesick Ben.

I still believe that Hoover's writing is VERY good.  It made it easier to follow.  It helped with the flow of reading it, but it didn't help with enjoying it.

I basically had all the wrong emotions throughout the book.  Mostly:


Oh God... Insta-Love.  
And when they spoke to each other:



It was too melodramatic, too immature, too cheesy... it was just plain cringe-worthy.  Sorry Hoover fans, Sis and the writer herself.  I believe there ARE books of her that might be good.  But this wasn't one of them, in my opinion.  Far from it.

I can't compare it to any other book she's made, because this is the only (and possibly, the last) book I've read of her.  It had absolutely EVERYTHING I dislike in a romance novel, heightened to a point where it was unbearable.

Story:  5.5/10

Now, about the story.  As I said, it had potential.  The idea of people once a year was somewhat interesting.  But it was not what I expected.

The book is narrated in the POV of both Fallon and Ben, so you get to be inside each of their heads, which was nice.  Ben also had this "super secret... secret", so that little, tiny bit of mystery was enough to endure the book.  But when it was revealed, I literally had a tiny shock.  

  

Then the shock was gone on the next paragraph.  The character's reaction to certain events had me wondering... "Are they aware of what just happened?"  The only character to actually feel something was Ben, and it was maybe once or twice.  For the rest of the book, the rest world didn't matter to them.  It could go down in flames, and as long as they were standing and unscathed, it was all good.  Screw the world and everybody in it, I guess.  

And don't get me started on the ending.  It was anti-climatic and it ended in a way that was just...

"Seriously?  Just like that?  What...?"

I think being in Fallon's head was like being inside the embodiment of every female stereotype.  Every wrong stereotype.  I've had female friends, and I still do.  And I bet they'd find this a little bit offensive.  Hell, I found it offensive, and I'm a guy.  She was too dramatic, and cried too much.  She was volatile, and not in a good way.  Most of the time I had to say out loud (hoping she would hear me): "Okay, chill.  Calm down, girl.  It's not the end of the world.  Sheesh!"  She would change emotions on a dime, sometimes from one paragraph to another.  To me, she wasn't real, and she didn't feel real.  She was just downright annoying.

And then there's the lovesick puppy, Ben.  I seriously think that Ben was this sort of "scarred prince Charming".  I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes at their scenes, or said things like "seriously?" and sometimes "ugh!".  And as a guy, I did find this character offensive.  I mean, talk about high standards!  If I were to throw my arms around a stranger, like he did, while she spoke to her father, just to "help her out", she would not "play along".  No.  I would get pepper-sprayed and kicked in the groin, instead.  And that's just her.  The father would have my head on a pike.  Ben felt just as fake as Fallon, but his story was a little bit more interesting.  Not him, his story.  His family, his brothers and everybody but him.  Still, between him and Fallon, he had a little more... color.  And even with his the fake-ness of his character, I did actually feel bad for him from time to time.  Then I got over it.  

This story couldn't quite get there.  It felt disconnected and somewhat undone.  It took too long to develop itself, the middle was filled with cheesy one-liners that tried too hard to be romantic and funny, and the end was too rushed and fake.

The story is disconnected.  Where's the other... ah!
I can't reach it.
Writing:  6/10

Colleen Hoover has a very interesting way of writing.  I liked the writing, actually.  If we could scrape off the badly-made story, the superficial characters and the overused, sappy dialogue, it would've been a good book.  

Each of the characters' voices are unique, which was nice.  Her narrative was also very enjoyable, mostly from Ben's side.  Fallon cried too much and felt everything.  Worse than Bella in New Moon.  

The writing was good, but it was not enough to make the book good.  Sorry.

My Verdict:  6/10

A 6, because it wasn't that horrible.  But of all the books I've read, it's my least favorite.  I even tried Confess, but stopped at the prologue and never returned to it again.  After this one, I don't think I will.  The book was too cheesy, too melodramatic, and too superficial for me to even consider it a good book.  I think I am one of the very few that didn't like the book, but I stand by my review.  

Do I recommend it?  If you are like me, like I described above and in most of my posts... then no.  I don't.  I didn't like it, and I'm sure many people haven't either.  The book has a nice story behind it, but it could've been done better, in my opinion.  If only the book was less superficial, less "teen-flick" and more serious, then it would've been good.  Hell, it would've been GREAT.  I found no difference between Fallon and Anastasia from Fifty Shades, and Ben was just plain sad.  I felt bad for him, until he opens his mouth.  Mute characters would've been good, also.

But... if you like books that are cheesy and melodramatic.  Go for it.  My sister is obsessed with Colleen Hoover and her books, and has read every single work made by her.  So there must be something I'm not seeing in those books that people like them so much.  Oh, well.  It might be that I'm a guy, it might be that I don't like romance or it might be that I have no patience or tolerance for things like that.  Or it might be all of the above.  Either way, I didn't like it.  Maybe you will.  Maybe you won't.  That's the beauty of literature: it can please some, it can be disliked by others.  


***


Salutations fellow Bookworms!  I hope you liked my review!  If you have any thoughts to share, if you agree or disagree or if you’d like to share anything, let me know on the comments!  You can also tweet me on Twitter, follow me on Instagram, on Tumblr or add me on GoodReads!  Happy Reading!

  


No comments: