Thursday, March 31, 2016

Zoo by James Patterson





Author: James Patterson
Genre:  Thriller, Science Fiction, Horror, Mystery
Target Audience:  Adults
Reading Experience:  7.5/10
Story:  8/10
Writing:  7/10
My Verdict:  7.5/10


Who hasn't heard of James Patterson?  I mean, the man has books virtually EVERYWHERE.  It scares me whenever I want to find out how many books he has written to date.  Because if I'm ever hooked, I won't be able to keep up.  I'm still trying to cope with the fact that I recently became a Stephen King fan; keeping up with his writings will be a challenge.  And don't get me started on Dean Koontz!



Anyway, I'm particularly curious about books being adapted to films or TV shows.  This one popped up on Netflix and I decided to give a try.  Reading the description, my inner scientist did something like:


I mean, it's a REALLY fascinating plot.  In short, the book is about a biologist named Jackson Oz (cool name, am I right?), and an ecologist named Chloe as they race to figure out the reason behind coordinated, violent attacks from animals towards humans.  Slowly, every animal in the world becomes increasingly violent and lethal, from lions down to dogs (maybe even a chihuahua!  Oh, the horror!)

Don't let that tiny body fool you.  He's trapped now, but as soon as he gets out,
he'll tear you limb from limb... one nibble at a time!

So the book revolves around this ecological "disaster" where animals are, seemingly, rebelling against all humans.  They start attacking, and they eventually KILL people.  It's an apocalypse!  and only Oz and Chloe, who saw this coming from a mile away, can stop it... or can they?  IS there a way to stop this???

Reading Experience: 7.5/10

It's not a perfect 10 because it wasn't the most engaging, brilliantly-made book.  I wasn't hooked like other thrillers; I kept the same pace, and so did the book.  I wouldn't say it's the best book I've read, but it was good.  It was interesting enough to keep me on the pages.  I liked the concept of an apocalypse, but centered in animals.  In my opinion, it was unique and interesting, so I stayed until the end.  I also really wanted to know WHAT was going on.  I wasn't able to predict the reason behind the apocalypse, or any theory for that matter, so I HAD to read until the end to find it out.  It was more curiosity rather than impatience or desperation.  Still, he managed to keep me reading 'till the end.  Well played, Mr. Patterson.

Story 8/10

I gave it an 8 because to me, the story was unique and interesting.  My friend, a fellow biologist and lab partner for most all of my college major, told me she was watching the show on Netflix, and told me our biology teacher was also hooked.  To date I haven't seen it (though I'm planning to binge-watch it soon, very, very soon), but as she told me an overall description (withholding spoilers), I found myself drawn to it.  The story was very well-made, and the development of it made it a very easy and pleasant read.  Even though it's not the ending I wanted, I found it to be the most appropriate to the given situation (both in the book's fiction and our reality).  Needless to say, I was very pleased with the story, its twists and its ending.  No complaints, here.

Writing: 7/10

This is the first book I've read of James Patterson, so I am not able to compare it to his other works, like the Alex Cross series, for example.  Still, I have to say that, even though it is not the most eloquent, elegant style of writing, the book was very enjoyable.  I found Patterson's writing in this book to be somewhat... casual.  And honestly, I think it fit perfectly with the unique Oz and his lifestyle.  I gave it a 7 because it was not decorated or elegant, like many books, but that's something I wouldn't particularly complain about.

My Verdict:  7.5

I know it's a low rating for a book I keep saying that I liked.  Because I really did like it.  But the book, taking in consideration the writing, the story and the experience, I have to say that it reached a certain point where the book couldn't get any higher than that.  Okay, let me explain.  The book escalates at first, reaching a climax that was very well placed and nicely done... but from there is kinda downhill.  And the climb isn't that high, either.  It's a book without layers or any depth, but it was very interesting.  I just wished it had a little bit more to offer, you know?

Oh well... next book, then...

I still recommend it, though.  It's a nice and easy read.  I don't recommend it for younger readers, though.  It gets bloody at parts, though not in a cringe-worthy way, but it's unsettling.  And our dear Oz is a young man living with his pretty girlfriend (or a friend with benefits?)... anyway, you do the math.  The scene is subtle and quick... but it's there.  Just so you know.

By the way, after reading this book, I would keep an eye on your pet, if I were you.  No pet is innocent if this goes down.  Yes, that means fishes too.  I mean, look at them!

You can see the intentions in its eyes!

***

Thanks for reading!  I'm trying out this new style and structure.  Do you like it?  If so, let me know!  If not, then feel free to tell me here in the comments below.  I'm open to suggestions!  Take care, bookworms, and happy reading!


No comments: