Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness



“Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?”
- A Monster Calls


Author:  Patrick Ness 
(originally conceived by Siobhan Dowd) 
Genre:  Fantasy, Young Adult, Horror, Contemporary
Reading Experience: 7.5/10
Story:  8/10
Writing:  7.5/10
My Verdict:  8/10


This is a sad story, with an even sadder background.  This is one of those books, one of those stories, that stick with you far beyond the last sentence.  It evokes something very sad and very dark since the first chapter, and it holds you until you read the last one.  Never have I once cried for a book as much as I did with this one, not even the Fault in Our Stars or any of the sort.  No, this book strung many strings in my heart, and it's a personal treasure, a favorite almost.

The story is simple: a boy named Conor and a monster that stalks him every night at midnight.  Conor is coping with his mother's cancer, school and many other things that will hit home and make you reminisce about the obstacles and frustrations of being a teen.

This monster visits him every midnight, demanding only one thing from Conor, the single thing Conor will never, ever give anyone: the truth.

Now, I will give no more details, since the plot itself is fragile and I may spoil something big from it.  Needless to say, this is one story that is unjustly underrated.

Now for a little background, which is just as sad as the novel itself.  The idea of this novel was originally conceived by the British writer Siobhan Dowd, who had cancer.  Dowd was working with Walker Books, who was also connected with Patrick Ness, when she was working on the draft for this novel.  Sadly, on 2007, she passed away, leaving a soon-to-be young-adult masterpiece incomplete.  Patrick Ness was approached, and he finished the story.

If you plan to cry your eyes out, ugly cry, that is, then you are in for a huge emotional roller-coaster.

Reading Experience:  7.5/10

I don't know if Conor could be considered "rebellious", but he seems that way to me.  I couldn't blame him, there is a lot on his shoulders: he is living alone with his mother, who is ill with cancer, he has a monster visiting him every midnight, school, his father and his family and of course the grandmother.  It's a sad, frustrating, gloomy ride that leads to something that, even though it is somewhat predictable, it pulls your heartstrings in a way that only very few things in this world can.

As I mentioned, the book is sad.  And I don't mean in some parts; no, it's the whole book.  From start to finish, and it only gets sadder and sadder with every page.  There's nothing like living the life of a boy that is going through things that no boy his age should.

In my opinion, this has to be the saddest book I've read in my life.  It is that sad.  There are no breathers, no places for you to catch your breath after crying... no, it's just one sad ride, from beginning to end.  Non-stop waterworks.

And on top of all the sadness, there is this "truth" that it is kept hidden from you, hanging over your head, grabbing hold of you since the first page and not letting go 'till you find out what it is.  

You'll cry and you'll be hooked.  You're barely half-way through the novel when you feel it in your eyes:

"Don't cry...don't cry..."
Then things sadder (and you thought it couldn't get any worse).  You start to feel with Conor, and suddenly eveything hurts:


And then you reach the dreaded ending, and you don't know if you are relieved or scared.  You don't know it gets much more painful (sorry, it does).  Then this "truth" comes out, and it crushes your soul, your heart and anything that was left:

*Truth comes out*  Oh My God!

Basically, this was me 30 minutes after the last sentence:

"I'm gonna end up dehydrated if I keep crying..."

Story:  8/10

It's somewhat unique, in my opinion.  It's more of a story for teens, about a teen and a storytelling monster.  Does that make sense?  It will, when you read it.

I liked it, because it's like a buildup to something that will both surprise you and break your heart.  What's worse is, that it's a truth so painful, so sad, so heartbreaking... but also one we hide ourselves.  It's not that uncommon, but we use every ounce of energy and power to keep it hidden.  It's a "truth" that has crossed our mind, but it is so horrible, that we dare not admit that it's in our mind.

This story taps into something buried very deep inside us, something that feels like our very own monster, creeping in a corner.  A monster we refuse to believe it's there.

I encourage anyone, both teen and adults alike, to read this.  It will break your heart, but there is this refreshing feeling that comes after you've finished the novel... a feeling of renewal, if you will.


Writing:  7.5/10

I've never read any of Patrick Ness' books before this one, so I can't compare his style per se.  That being said, I was pleased with the writing, the way he captured Conor's mindset and the way he developed all the characters and story was done beautifully.  In terms of the writing I have no complaints.  It's not a perfect novel, not one with the best plot twist or anything.  But it's a book that deserves attention.


My Verdict:  8/10

I really enjoyed this story; it has made me ugly-cry, it has kept me hooked since the first page and it has offered me a new view on life, in it's own, special, subtle way.

It's a book a fully recommend, to both teens and adults.  It's not only a very well-made novel, it has a strong message that will ripple and echo for the rest of your life.

And check out the trailer for the upcoming adaptation!  It perfectly captures the atmosphere of the book!




***


Salutations fellow Bookworms!  I hope you liked my review!  If you have any thoughts to share, if you agree or disagree or if you’d like to share anything, let me know on the comments!  You can also tweet me on Twitter, follow me on Instagram, on Tumblr or add me on GoodReads!  Happy Reading!



No comments: